Friday 9 November 2012

Applied Arts - Metalwork


Here is the final outcome of my metalwork taster. I found the acid etching followed by colouring with the micro welder produced my favourite effect. I made sure I added texture using either the press or by hammering the steel before etching it. Any metals that were not etched complemented the piece better when they were heated and tarnished. I found carefully heating the copper produced a beautiful pink hue that worked well alongside the purples and blues of the steel.

For inspiration I mainly just let the materials and processes guide me; I tried to keep the individual pieces irregularly shaped and allowed some of the narrower pieces to curve around the cube to create interesting shapes and negative spaces around the cube. When a space needed more detail I tried to use the offcuts of my different samples to keep my process as organic as possible.


I went on to start applying my favourite process to a second cube. I found when I pressed a steel mesh into the tin plate steel. The reverse side reminded me of crocodile skin so after acid etching all but the very peaks of the metal I tried colouring it in stripes which I thought could look animalistic and exotic. I like the final outcome although I ran out of time before I could apply all the pieces onto the cube.

During the metalwork taster I found lots of unexpected ways I can work with metal, some of which I could apply to fashion work as embellishments or accessories. Some of the metal colouring is so beautiful it could even inform fabric prints.

No comments:

Post a Comment