Wednesday 6 February 2013

Nose to the grindstone...


I've gone a bit quiet recently due to a high volume of work to do with my university application. The majority of this is now done, so from now I will be trying to keep this page updated weekly.

So here's what I've been up to!

The Tube Works


This was a project focused predominantly on research and development as opposed to outcomes. Although there were other areas of investigation and sampling which I haven't included here, this was the main focus.

I started with a tubular object which I drew lots of times in ways that moved from purely representational to abstract. Within my drawings I found new shapes which I exaggerated and developed.








I often find myself drawn to 3D work and new materials so during this project I developed a series of small constructed pieces and 3D experiments.


Although the copper construction was very beautiful in itself, the columns of white paper proved to be the most useful. They were a 3D interpretation of a photograph I found during my research and I used them to develop a series of further drawings.



Next sketchbook work turned into three large sequential drawings using multiple medias and expressive strokes to produce dramatic and textural images.





The final stages of this project involved working in a group to produce a set of screen printed constructed pieces combining our different concept. I attached tubular forms to this construction in a way which complemented the circular shapes within the print.
 The project was interesting because the focus was shifted from the final product and into developing my own creative process. I broadened my horizons to new ways of thinking about design and have acquired new skills that I can take forward into further projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment