Thursday 11 October 2012

Fashion


After seriously distorting some basic bodice blocks to create wacky shapes out of paper, the task was to cut, manipulate and ultimately make my wacky shape fit a mannequin, and here are my results! With hindsight a little more simple and elegant could have been good but there's some nice contrasts between the fluid flowing shapes and the boxy cuts into some of the pieces.

My piece has the combination of structure and fluidity that I associate with the internal workings of shells. The paper lends to its bone like quality. For some reason (probably the swirls and the shape over the shoulders at the back) it also makes me think of ancient Greek architecture and imagery.

As an exercise in design development there are certainly shapes and lines that I can bring out onto other pieces and it strikes me as a highly fast and effective way of generating ideas.




I went on to digitally develop my design by taking elements and positioning them on the figure.


 A bit sketchy for an illustration but great for developing my garment.

No comments:

Post a Comment